LOCATION: Sunday, March 9, 2014. Competition begins at 10 a.m. Site: ASU Maroon Gym on the ASU Campus – Student Rec. Center.
ENTRY FEES: $20 first open event, $8 each additional open event.
ENTRY DEADLINE: Early entry deadline must be (postmarked on or before) Saturday,
February 22, 2014. After that date add $15 late fee. Late entry deadline must be received in the State Games Office Saturday by March 1. Any entry after March 1 will be accepted only with the Commissioners approval and will be based on availability - add $15 Late Fee.
DIVISIONS: 0-8, 9-12, 13-16, 17+ (age on the day of the contest).
EVENTS & LEVELS: All events start and end with courtesy pose. Salute is
optional in each event. Gymnastics allowed. Novice = N, Beginner = B, Intermediate= I, Advanced = A *Groups may be combined if less than three in an event.
- BASIC STRUT: Contestants will march in a square individually. (USTA music).
Levels: N, B, I/A.
- FIRST TIME BASIC STRUT: Contestants will march in a square individually.
(USTA music). Open to girls marching for the first time.
- MILITARY STRUT: Contestants will march in a square individually. (USTA music). Levels: N, B, I/A
- L MILITARY STRUT: Contestants will march in an L formation, executing a military beat. (USTA music). Levels: N, B, I/A.
- PRESENTATION: Combines twirling and bodywork. (USTA music). Levels: N, B, I, A.
- SOLO TWIRL: Demonstrate: difficulty, speed, control, showmanship, grace, variety.
Time Limits: N, B and I: 0:00-2:10 minutes; A: 1:50-2:30 minutes. Levels: N, B, I, A.
- FIRST CONTEST SOLO: For those who have never competed in Solo before.
- SHOW TWIRL: Timing begins and ends with music. Twirler may use props. Time limit: 30 seconds-2:30 minutes. Levels B, A
- NBTA-X STRUT: Time limit: 30 seconds-2:00 minutes. Levels: N, B, I, A.
- TWO BATON: Both batons must be in motion at all times. Time limit: 1:00-2:00 minutes. Levels: N, B, I. A.
- THREE BATON: Three batons must be in motion at all times. Time limit: 1:00-2:00 minutes. Levels: B, A.
- MODELING with interview: Circle T pattern, 1:00 time limit. May be done in dress or costume
- BEST APPEARING: B, A 1:00 time limit. Contestants will wear costume
- DANCE TWIRL: Freestyle twirling, use own CD music, any combination of one baton twirling and bodywork. No props. Time limit: 1:00-2:00 minutes. Levels: B, A.
- DUET TWIRL: Duet is 2 contestants performing a routine together. Time limit: 1:00-2:30 minutes. Levels: N, B, I/A.
You must list your partner(s) on the entry
- DANCE TWIRL TEAM: Small (4-7 members), Large (8+ members). Incorporate dance and twirling to own CD music. Time limit: 2:00-4:00 minutes. One entry per team. Team entries must be sent in by director and team members must be listed with ages of participants. Levels: B, A.
- MASTERS LEVEL: Open competition for prior athletes to compete - age 24 and older
(2-3 minute routines)
For more information on Baton Twirling, contact Michele Ekstrom at 602-482-5860 or
Co-Commissioner Megan Ekstrom at 602-550-3390
This sport “IS” part of the Grand Canyon State Summer Games. Entry materials for the other Summer Games sports will be available online at the Grand Canyon State Games website at www.gcsg.org statewide beginning in mid - April 2014.